The purpose of QQI Level 5 Care Skills is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to care for clients in a safe and hygienic environment.
1. Identify relevant groups of people in need of health care
2. Examine the physical, emotional, social, psychological and spiritual needs of a range of groups of people, taking into account individual variation
3. Identify the hygiene needs of dependent clients
4. Discuss the prevention of pressure sores
5. Demonstrate knowledge of the correct procedures for the cleaning and replacement of a range of patient equipment
6. Adapt levels of assistance to the needs of particular clients
7. Demonstrate a range of interpersonal skills when dealing with clients to include empathy, respect, patience and effective communication skills
8. Exercise initiative to improve client involvement in social events, outings and occupational therapy and physiotherapy
9. Contribute to the maintenance of safe and hygienic environments for clients to include the safe disposal of soiled linen
10. Assist clients with dressing, grooming, eating, drinking, toileting, continence promotion, mobility and where appropriate, social needs
11. Apply client safety and security procedures to include appropriate on site client care procedures for washing, bathing, showering, positioning, moving and handling
12. Give assistance that enhances the privacy, dignity, independence and positive self image of clients in care
13. Give assistance to clients in the use of a range of care equipment to include sensory equipment, aids to encourage independence and mechanical aids including mobility aids, feeding aids, washing aids, elimination aids and hoists
14. Report changes in the client’s condition to the relevant Supervisor
15. Complete client documentation where appropriate.
New Dates Coming Soon
Learners must have completed their Leaving certificate, a Level 4 certificate or equivalent in a relevant subject area (Special Needs/Childcare/Healthcare) and/or relevant practical experience (3 years minimum) – Please contact our office to discuss more about this.
English Language Proficiency: Learners entering programmes leading to Level 5 awards are expected to be able to: be proficient at reading, drafting, preparing and understanding information across a broad range of topics, including quantitative information.
The cost of this module is €250.00.
The payment of this module is made in two instalments as follows:
Payment 1: €125.00 Booking deposit, this is payable when booking to secure your place.
Payment 2: €125.00 payable after 3 weeks.
Please note that deposits are non-refundable, unless the course is changed or cancelled by ourselves. Refund of fees is not payable to learners who do not complete the course or assessments.
If you are in receipt of a payment from the Department of Social Protection, on a CE Scheme or participating in activation schemes, you may be eligible for some funding. Please contact the office for further advice in relation to this.
Protection for Learners
Protection of Enrolled Learners (‘PEL’) is a legal requirement for providers to put in place arrangements to ensure that if a programme of education and training ceases prematurely, learners will be able to complete a similar programme with another provider, or have their moneys refunded.
As Aspire Training continues to make quality improvements we are currently working on changing our PEL arrangements from using alternate providers, to using insurance arrangements. This will ensure contingency and learners will receive the most up-to-date information in the Learner Handbook.
To reinforce inclusion for all our learners we offer customised learning support for individual applicants who require accommodations. Aspire Training provide a range of supports for learners to ensure that our programmes and services are accessible to all.
Upon registration for a course or programme with Aspire Training, learners will be asked to state any additional requirements needed so that the appropriate supports for teaching, learning and assessment can be considered. It is important that you discuss your needs with us as early as possible. If you would like to discuss this prior to registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Learners also completed QQI Level 5 Care of the Older Person