Recognition of Prior Learning Policy
Recognition of prior learning may be requested by a learner for the purposes of access to a programme, advanced entry to a programme, or grant of a full award.
The recognition of prior learning (RPL) is a method of assessment which may allow learners to gain formal recognition (certification) for knowledge, skills and competence that they already have, howsoever acquired.
RPL requires the learner to demonstrate or prove their learning through interview and/or through compiling a portfolio.
RPL may allow the learner:
- To gain entry to a programme: that is, a learner may gain a place on a programme, without having the certificate required for entry onto that programme (where such an entry requirement exists).
- To gain exemptions within a programme: for example, a learner may be granted exemptions from elements of programme requirements on the basis of learning that they already have achieved.
- To attain an award: that is, a learner may be awarded a major or minor award on the basis of previously acquired learning for which they do not have a formal certificate.
Please note, that due to the part-time nature of our programmes, Aspire Training does not facilitate options 2 and 3.
RPL for Entry
Where a learner does meet the relevant entry requirements onto any of our QQI Level 5 or 6 programmes, consideration will given to those with previous experience of working in the relevant vocational sector (3 years minimum) and/or previous certified learning within the relevant vocational sector. Learners seeking an exemption based on recognition of prior learning will to supply the following information:
- Completed Aspire Training RPL Application Form to include details of previous certified Learning / Experience.
- Relevant certificates (specifically linked to an awarding body) to include transcript of academic results – awards which have been issued from foreign countries will need to be transcribed onto the Irish Framework of Qualifications before applications can be considered.
- Programme details relating to the previous certified learning – it is essential to establish that learners have already covered the learning objectives set down in the QQI module descriptors.
- Employers References.
The application will be reviewed by the Academic Committee who will formally respond within 14 days of receiving an RPL Application.